Sunday, January 19, 2014

First post!


2013
Blogging is against my nature, but I’m willing to give it a try. Several blogs I follow haphazardly have been a huge source of education to me, and I want to return the favor—more on that later. I’m also getting tired of being told, “You should become a writer!” I’m shy and introverted around strangers, but extremely witty once I’m comfortable around someone. I keep this “self” limited to a few friends and family members normally. The idea of being myself around anyone I meet is uncomfortable, and writing anything personal down in a public domain is a bit terrifying. BUT I’m here because people are asking me to be. Hopefully they won't regret it. 

What you may read here in the future:

Stories about my old dogs. I have two adopted Wheaten Terriers that were owned by a well-to-do retired lady in Minnesota. She passed away, and I ended up with her dogs, hereby referred to as Muffin and Fifi.

Stories about my young dog.  In late 2011, a family friend posted a picture on Facebook of a little creature that looks like a miniature dingo. My mother, an unapologetic cat lady, ended up adopting this pathetic monster for some reason. He was terrorizing her cats and ruining life at home, so I agreed to adopt him. I figured a spastic little demon would put Muffin and Fifi in their places, and I was right. We’ll just call him Dingo.

People that annoy me on Twitter. Twitter is my new obsession. Be prepared.

Vegetarianism/veganism. A long-term interest. I have been a vegetarian since 2006 (no I don’t miss meat, yes I get enough protein). I enjoy both abolitionist politics and plant-based nutrition, so there will be more on that as I do my own explorations. Some will be quick to point out my hypocritical nature (eating eggs, adoring cheese, wearing leather shoes). Guilty. I’m working on it. Lay off.

Employment. I’m currently unemployed, after I ignored my gut and pursued a job that was not a good fit in any way. More on this one later, because I have a lot to say about it. My stories about the hospital should be enough to make me famous.

Management. I’m a career supervisor, in that most of my expertise has to do with getting results from people. I have insight on being a good boss, as well as being a good employee. P.S. Most bosses are both bosses and employees.Unless you're the CEO you need to focus on both.

Saving money. I was drowning in debt for quite awhile. I have a long way to go, but things are improving and I have plenty to share for those wanting to quit bankrolling credit card company executives.

Creative writing/essays. That’s self-explanatory, right?

Oprah-ish Self-Help Best-Life things.  I matured more in 2013 than I have in any other year. I am currently seeking ways to channel what I’ve learned into a full time job, or at least writing fodder.

Atlanta. I moved here two years ago, because my partner thought I’d be miserable in our other options: Seattle or Hawaii (????). Expect observations on local culture, snarky posts about snow flurries, and reviews of local places and events. Disclaimer: I do not live in the Atlanta city limits. One thing to know about Atlanta is that living in the suburbs makes you a second class citizen of sorts.

So that’s that. I have three posts drafted already. My aim is to post daily, and to drive traffic via Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. Please comment!!!

L

No comments: